Monday, March 3, 2008

Merry Christmas!!

Christmas in March! Impossible you say? Hardly. My presents arrived on my front door step yesterday. Jolly old Saint Nick might not have been the one to personally deliver them but he had his local agent do the job. Instead of a sled with reindeer he arrived in a white truck propelled by horsepower. And instead of a bright red suit he wore a blue uniform and shorts. He was my mailman.

Although he tried to leave my package and quietly disappear, I could feel something in the air and went to check. There next to the door was a small package. I bent to pick it up and could tell by the weight that it was going to be something good. Then I noticed the return address and my heart skipped a couple of beats as my mind quickly thought of the contents.

The address was
Petersburg, the name was Abdon, the package was gold! OK, it was really cardboard but you know what I mean. I placed the package on the kitchen counter and just stared at it. My mind said open it, my heart said open it, my common sense said are you crazy?? Kim has to be here for the opening and she's still at work! So it sat....and sat.....and sat all afternoon as I watched the clock.

It was only a couple of hours later and she arrived home but it felt like days. She saw the package sitting out of place on the kitchen counter and approached it more with anticipation than with curiosity.
Once she saw the return address she knew what it was and quickly grabbed the closest knife. The package was opened in a blink of the eye and with the precision of a surgeon.

We both smiled as it was slowly opened and although impossible, in my mind I could almost smell the treasure inside. When the packing material was removed we could see the familiar white lids of our beloved limburger cheese. Six jars. Sitting there. Quietly. We just stared. We each picked up a jar and held it carefully, almost as gently as if it were an egg. Aunt Sue had come through.

As we read the card we saw that Sue wanted us to keep two jars and we were to give two jars each to Jan and Faye. Quite a bit of responsibility and trust there don't you think? But we all know that they will get their jars, safe and sound the next time we go to visit. We'll have our two jars and we'll ration them like it was World War II and we were in a prisoner of war camp.

So our limburger searches are mostly over. None to be had in our area. All stores are empty. But we'll still find ourselves glancing through the dairy section of any new store we happen to visit. That will be a habit hard to break for many months to come. And who knows, maybe sometime in the future Kraft will realize that they made a huge mistake and start production again. Hey, it could happen....miracles do occur.......I just had Christmas in March!

No comments: